This is my favorite time of the year. Everything feels so jolly and festive. Nothing could be better than the holiday season. One of my favorite parts of the holiday season is all of the yummy food you get to eat. It could be a casserole, a Christmas ham or turkey, or my favorite: the baked goods and cookies! Something that I am sure of is I absolutely love to bake. My go to cookie to bake around this time of the year is my Nana’s ginger cookie recipe. This cookie recipe is just about the best holiday treat anyone could ask for.
Not only are the cookies delicious, but they also remind me of baking them with my grandmother. When I was little, we use to bake all the time together and this was my favorite thing to cook with her. As time went on my grandmother got sick and could no longer bake things that had too many steps. So now as an adult I am able to make these cookies and remember her around the holiday season.
The recipe is easy and isn’t difficult to follow.
Incase this is difficult for you to read, I will list the ingredients and instructions below.
- 3/4 C. shortening
- 1 C. sugar
- 1/4 C. molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 C. flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp.cloves
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- Dash of salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Combine the shortening, sugar, molasses, and egg in one bowl. Then beat until smooth.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, cloves, ginger, salt, and cinnamon in a separate bowl and sift
- Then slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet and beat well.
- Roll dough into balls and then coat the ball in sugar.
- Flatten dough balls with the bottom of a glass.
- Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes
And that’s it! I hope you try this recipe and are able to enjoy it as much as I do. Let me know if you try it in the comments. Do you have a favorite holiday cookie recipe? Feel free to share it in the comments!